The curriculum for second grade is based on City of Salem Standards of Learning and State Standards of Learning (SOL’s). Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies are the core subjects taught. These subjects are assessed formally and informally during the school year. For more specific information, please check the website of your child’s teacher often.
Goals for Second Graders:
- To encourage reading for pleasure; to teach to read with fluency, expression and comprehension; to use word attack skills to decode unknown words.
- To express ideas effectively in writing; to incorporate the City of Salem writing curriculum.
- To introduce and reinforce basic math concepts; to maintain problem solving strategies.
- To use beginning exploration skills in science.
- To increase awareness of their world beginning with their own community and expanding their knowledge base to our country and beyond.
- To demonstrate and promote good health habits and general wellness; to promote appropriate lifelong social skills.
- To demonstrate and reinforce good organization skills and beginning study skills.